FREE INSTRUCTION - Instruction is also available by attending the Metchosin Rug Hooking group, the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month, September to May. This is an informal setting and instruction is provided in weekly segments. Kits must be purchased from the instructor prior to beginning the group.
Traditional Rug Hooking
with wool strips, yarn, and t-shirts
Due to Covid-19, classes have been cancelled but individual instruction is available. Students must wear a mask and maintain social distancing. Classes are limited to 1-2 students. Classes are one hour with follow-up on Skype or FaceTime.
will receive a 6" x 6" bumble bee design for a mug rug that can also be developed into a small rug. The cost is $100.00 plus tax and includes a kit with yarn, wool strips, and rug hook. Students will need a large 14" hoop (may be found at a thrift shop or purchased from the studio for $40.00 plus tax. Students will need to bring large and
small scissors, ruler, and lunch. PLEASE CALL THE STUDIO TO REGISTER. A deposit of $50.00 is required to hold your spot (cheque, cash, or etransfer please).
Students will learn:
- basic techniques of rug hooking (hooking a straight line, angles, curves, circles),
- hooking with fabric strips, yarn, or t-shirts,
- how to cut fabric into strips without a fabric cutter,
- basic elements of color theory that will make your rug "pop",
- how to choose good fabric for recycling into rugs,
- finishing techniques.